Monday, February 6, 2012

Fish Cakes

A girlfriend gave me a Snapper at it was HUGE, I mean, at least 3kg! Her husband caught it on one of his many fishing trips. I cooked it as part of an Asian dinner for 5 people but still, we only ate only half the Snapper. So I decided to create some fish cakes with them. I came up with this recipe for my children and a Thai one for my husband and I (but one of my 4yo twin girls loved it too!)


Ingredients:
500g potatoes, cooked, mashed and cooled
450g cooked Snapper (or any other left over fish, even canned tuna)
1 small onion, finely chopped and fried until translucent, cool
1 tsp lemon rind
1 Tbs lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste
parsley, finely chopped
1/2 cup grated tasty cheese

1/2 cup plain flour
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 Tbs milk
2 cups breadcrumbs
Canola oil for frying

Method:
Mix together the potato, fish, onion, lemon rind and juice, salt, pepper, parsley and cheese.
Shape into patties (I pressed the mixture into egg rings then removed the ring) then allow to firm up in fridge for an hour.
Whisk the egg and milk until combined.
Dip the patties into the flour, then the egg mixture then the breadcrumbs.
Fry until nice and golden.

Serve with a salad.

Also a great kids lunch box idea!


Makes about 15

No comments:

Post a Comment