Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Jewish Honey Cake

My Mum used to buy this delicious Honey cake when I was a child. Its a dry cake and is devine if you spread a little butter on it. Had searched high and low for a recipe and I adapted this one from a few different recipe books and Googling. I love it and can't get enough of it-maybe because it reminds me of my childhood!

Ingredients:
1 3/4 cup plain flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
pinch salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground ginger
2 eggs
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/8 cup canola oil
1 cup good honey
1/4 cup espresso, cold
flaked almonds to decorate

Method:
Pre-heat oven to 175 degrees and grease and line a 28cm x 18cm slice pan.
Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger.
In a seperate bowl beat the eggs and sugar until combined then beat in the oil, honey and espresso.
Mix in the wet ingredients into the dry ones and pour into prepared pan.
Sprinkle with flaked almonds.
Bake in oven for 45mins or until cooked.


Its tastier with lots of almonds on top.                                     But prettier with them as flowers!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment